Organic Skin Care, How to Avoid Synthetic Chemicals and Additives
Would you like some guidance in choosing natural and organic beauty products? The average woman can be exposed to over 160 synthetic chemicals and additives each day through their daily skin care regime. To avoid these harmful substances listen to Charmaine Leah from Glamology who gives you ten simple organic skin care tips to ensure what you put on your skin is healthy and not harmful.
- Don’t believe labels – the cosmetic industry has jumped onto the bandwagon and recognises that consumers are wanting more natural products. Because of the lack of regulation in the industry, any company can use the words ‘natural’ ‘pure’ or ‘organic’ on the labelling, but use synthetic ingredients in their products. So don’t trust the label, which is all too often just marketing spin
- Check the ingredients – if you can’t pronounce the ingredient, it is most likely a synthetic potentially toxic compound. Charmaine lists the 12 most common synthetic ingredients to avoid.
- Choose fragrance-free products. ‘Fragrance’ listed as an ingredient is likely to contain numerous chemicals that are hazardous to the health of your skin or body.
- Avoid big brand names – it is often the big brands that use cheap and readily available synthetic ingredients in their products.
- Buy cruelty-free products only – do you really want to use products that have been tested on animals? Most natural and organic companies will clearly state they don’t test on animals.
- Look for environmentally friendly packaging – usually paper or glass containers which can be recycled. Try to avoid plastic containers unless they state they are BPA free.
- Use mineral make-up – Mineral make-up is often a safer and more healthy alternative to conventional cosmetics because it is manufactured from natural ingredients. Just make sure all cosmetics you purchase are free from nanoparticles which are completely absorbed into the skin.
- Buy water-based nail varnish/ polish – some of the ingredients used in conventional nail varnish and removers, such as DBPs and formaldehyde, are toxic and harmful to the environment and your body. These synthetic constituents are linked to cancer, infertility and birth defects. Water based nail varnish does not contain these sorts of ingredients and are therefore much safer.
- Use fewer products – the simpler your beauty regime, the better.
- Check it out online! – EWG’s skindeep cosmetic database will give you a brief summary of how toxic your product actually is.
These effective and simple steps will ensure your body stays happy and healthy byusing natural skin and beauty products. If you can make or buy organic beauty products, all the better!
Filed under: Organic Cosmetics
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!